As a believer, you belong to the Lord;
body, soul and spirit from the moment you are saved. But much of our
life may still be occupied by pockets of resistance, concepts, habits
and thought systems not in agreement with the Word or Will of
There are believers today in bondage in
various areas of their lives. They have tried everything to gain freedom,
but to no avail. I believe strongholds are the leading cause of
emotional disorders and are a great hindrance to balanced spiritual
growth in the spiritual life.
If we will deal with these trouble areas
as possible strongholds we will see immediate results and begin
to experience a new measure of freedom in our life.
The good news is Jesus came with
the anointed and appointed ministry "to proclaim
liberty to the captives and the opening of the prison to them that are
bound" (Isa. 61:1).
Jesus said, "The thief comes only
to steal, and kill and destroy, I have come that they might have life,
and have it to the full" (John 10:10). NIV
This is the believer's legal
A. A stronghold is:
- An area where spiritual darkness
- Spiritual darkness exists where
there is the absence of spiritual truth.
- Psalms 119:130, "The
entrance of Thy Words giveth light, it giveth understanding to the
- If there is the slightest area of
our lives where the light of God's truth has not shone, the enemy
is sure to make the most of it.
2. Anything in us
strong enough to keep us from becoming like Christ in an area of life is
- The word stronghold in Greek
means, "a hard place."
- It refers to a place on the
battlefield that is an entrenchment or a fortress.
- Any place there is a fixed set of
ideas, a mind set, thoughts and behavior in conflict with revealed
truth, you can suspect a stronghold.
- A command post from which the enemy
works in surrounding areas.
- He may not have jurisdiction
in other areas, but from the place where ideas are accepted he can
exert influence over nearby areas of the human psyche.
- 2 Cor. 2:11, "Lest Satan
should get an advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his
- 1 Peter 5:8, "Be sober, be
vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion,
walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
- A thought pattern alien to the Word of
- One commentator defines a stronghold
as "a house made of thoughts."
- When people come to the Lord, their
fight with the Lord is over, but their fight with the devil is not
- The battle now rages for control of
the thought life.
- The new life requires a disciplined
mind. God expects a complete shift in thinking. "Let this
mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus" (Phil.
- The last thing in the world satan
wants is a renewed mind which produces a changed
- A place where the enemy's thoughts
seem more credible than our thoughts or God's thoughts.
- In Eph. 4:27 Paul warns, "neither
give place to the devil."
- This warning makes it clear that the
Christian can admit the enemy to a place in his or her life and
should constantly be on guard lest it happen.
- Since satan cannot touch our wills,
he works on something that influences our will - and that is our thought
- He does this by the power of
- He is ever ready with endless
suggestions for the thought life. This is how he exercises
dominion in a Christian's life and his influence will remain as
long as that stronghold is not brought down.
d. Satan is a
master at suggestions. He's had several thousand years practice in using them.
- He knows it's one of the greatest
means of motivating people to do or not do something.
- His knowledge of human weaknesses
helps him to design suggestions especially fitted to each
- When he deposits his suggestion - it
is sent into our thought life as an idea.
- Since those ideas come from within
us, if we're not spiritually aware, we'll naturally view them as
- Therefore, Christians need the
discipline of examining their thought life and watching for
- This is the reason the Word of God
says, "Bringing every thought into captivity unto the
obedience of Christ."