HEAVENLY FATHER WATCHES OVER ME
Matthew 6:25-33 and Matthew
Jesus exploded all
the stereotypes about God when He came to earth.
He showed that God is not some kind of impersonal force.
He showed that God is not some kind of angry tyrant waiting to deal
you a bummer in life.
He showed that God is not some apathetic creator that really
doesn't care about what's happening on the earth.
In fact, Jesus
defined God in two words in Matthew 6:9…"Our Father."
I can relate to a person.
I can get to know a person.
I can have a relationship with a person.
What kind of Father
is God? What is He really like?
The Bible shows that
God has four characteristics in His Fatherliness toward us. Let's consider
them in this study to get a clear understanding of what kind of Father God
is to His children.
is a Caring Father
God wants you to know
that you are loved and cared for. You matter to God.
God cares about you.
God loves you.
God is interested in you.
"As a father has compassion on his children so the Lord has
compassion on those who honor Him."
is God's most outstanding characteristic. He's caring, loving and
I Peter 5:7,
"Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."
1. Does God care about your
2. Does He care about your
3. Does He care about how you get along in your family?
4. Does He care about whether you're a success or a failure in
life? Does it even matter to Him?
The answer to these
questions is yes; He cares.
Psalms 35:37, "The
Lord delights in the well being of His servants." The Good News
translation says, "The Lord is pleased with the success of His
II. God is a
"Every good and perfect gift is from the Father who does not change like
1. He's reliable. He can be counted upon.
2. He's worthy of trust.
Some father's are unpredictable.
They are fickle.
1. Inconsistent fathers produce insecure kids.
2. God is a consistent Father. He's not moody. He never has a
bad day. He never wakes up grouchy.
3. He loves you just as much on your bad day as He does
on your good day. And the reason is because He's consistent. It's not based
on who you are---but who He is.
II Timothy 2:13, "Even
if we are faithless He remains faithful, for He cannot disown Himself."
1. Isn't that an incredible verse?
2. It says even when we're unfaithful and inconsistent and
unreliable, God can be counted on.
3. Because of His very nature He cannot disown Himself. By
nature He is reliable, consistent, and faithful.
This is such good news
because everything in the world is changing constantly. While everything else is
falling apart and changing on us daily, there is one thing we can always count
can always count on God to always act the same way toward us no matter how we
is always caring and consistent no matter what we think--no matter what we
feel--no matter what we do.
Malachi 3:6, God says, "I
the Lord do not change."
1. He is immutable - unchanging.
2. Everything else shifts and changes but God is as stable as a
3. Nothing changes with Him and for us that is good news.
Psalm 18:20, "What a God He is! All His promises prove true."
1. God always keeps His promises.
2. If God says it, you can count on it.
God is a Close Father.
The Bible makes it clear that
God is nearby when you need Him. He's available - He's accessible.
1. Paul talks about this in Acts 17:27 when he talks
about God being everywhere. "God did this so people would reach out for
Him and find Him since He is not far from each of us."
2. He is not out in never never land. He is a close God.
Three encouraging things we
need to know about our close God.
1. God is never too busy for us!
Psalm 145:18, "The
Lord is near to all who call on Him."
When you pray you don't get a busy signal.
When you say, "I've got a burden Lord and I need to talk to you
it." God doesn't say, "Not now, I'm busy."
His switchboard is never full. He can handle all the requests made to
Him. He is never too busy for you. You can talk to Him at anytime.
2. God loves to meet your need.
Matthew 7:11, "If you know how to give good gifts to your
much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask
Matthew 6:31-32, "So don't worry saying "What are we
going to eat or
what shall we wear? Your Heavenly Father knows you need these
God has unlimited resources with which to meet your needs. His
provisions are never diminished.
3. God is sympathetic to our hurts.
When you say, "I'm feeling low today." God understands for He
to look right into you.
He can understand why you are hurting many times when you don't
even know why you are hurting.
God can check it out. He knows. He understands completely.
Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is close to the broken hearted and
saves those who are crushed in spirit."
1. Have you ever been crushed in spirit? If you've lived any
length of time you have been crushed in spirit.
2. If you've had a difficulty this week, this month or this year
3. He is sympathetic. He is close to the broken hearted.
4. He saves those who are crushed in spirit.
The term Jesus used for Father
in the Bible is the word - "Abba."
1. Jesus spoke Aramaic. The New Testament was written in Greek.
2. Jesus obviously read Greek and could speak it but the common
language was Aramaic.
3. The Aramaic word for Father was Abba.
It's obviously a real
simple word that a baby could learn first, like papa, dada, or abba.
Daddy is what it means.
5. It's an intimate term. God says when you come to Him, that's
the kind of relationship God wants you to relate to Him.
is a caring Father, a consistent Father, and a close Father
God is a Capable Father.
is beyond His ability or His resources.
1. Nothing ever taxes Him. Whatever problem you've got - at work
- at home - at school - God can handle it. He is a capable Father.
2. Luke 1:37, "For nothing is impossible with
3. Ephesians 3:20 (LB), " God is able to
do far more than we would ever dare or even dream of infinitely beyond our
highest prayers, desires, thoughts or hopes."
4. God says:
Think of the biggest thing you can think of and I can top that.
Think of the biggest problem you can give me and I can handle it.
Think of the biggest request you'd like to make and I can meet it
5. Why? Because He is a capable Father.
God wants to meet your needs.
1. He wants you to stop looking everywhere else to have those
He wants you to look to Him.
2. Philippians 4:19, "My God shall supply all of
a. That means everything from finances on down. All your needs.
God takes care of His children. He is a loving Father.
God says, "As your
1. I can meet every need you'll ever face.
2. I want to meet every need you'll ever face.
will meet every need you'll ever face…..
If you will only trust
Home/ Sermons/ Nuggets/ Soul Food/ Links